‘A what?’ you ask. So wondered I when Susan from Ohiasia posted that she had nominated us. The Liebster is a fun, chain mail-esque way of promoting up-and-coming blogs with fewer than 200 followers (I suppose our blog is up-an-coming in the same way that, for example, Elephant & Castle is ‘up-and-coming’).
So, here’s how it works. Nominees are supposed to:
• post eleven facts about themselves.
• answer the eleven questions you’ve been asked by the blogger that nominated you.
• nominate eleven other blogs and ask them eleven questions of your own.
• display one of the many Liebster award badges.
• notify your nominees/recipients.
So, without further ado:
11 facts about us:
1. We have both been pulled over by police (each in a different country) for jumping a red light…on our bicycles.
2. We have been married four years, during which time we have lived in 4 different houses in 3 different countries.
3. During the four years, Faith has been the higher income earner for all but one month, during the summer of 2011.
4. We had to print our wedding invitations three times because the location changed twice, and our final venue was 352.5 miles from our initial venue.
5. We have bought more houses than cars.
6. On May 20, 2011, after several months of carefully nurturing seeds into seedlings indoors, we finally planted them in our garden. On May 21, 2011, a tornado threw our garage on top of the garden.
7. My favourite day of the year is April 1. Faith’s least favourite day of the year is April 1.
8. Faith has been asked several times if she’s Polish. I have been asked several times if I’m part African.
9. During the 2008 primaries, we went to Obama and Clinton rallies on the same day.
10. We’re friends with the daughter of a former US president and the sister of a two-time Super Bowl MVP. Getting closer!
11. We both had episodes of explosive diarrhea in the same latrine in a national park in northern Uganda — 15 months apart.
Answers to Ohiasia’s questions
1. What was your immediate reaction after learning that you’ve won this award?
Mmm, is this some kinda scam?
2. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you pick?
Pretty happy right here in London! But if it has to be somewhere else, then on a beach somewhere. Maybe in Cyprus, or Australia, or back in Oman, or the Seychelles…
3. What’s been your #1 worry lately?
It was my dissertation proposal, but now that’s submitted!
4. Under what circumstances would you get plastic surgery and on what body part?
It would probably have to be after some sort of horrific accident, and then it would depend on what body part had been disfigured in the accident.
5. What’s something that many people are interested in, that you have zero interest in?
Star Wars, Star Trek. Most space-based science fiction, really.
6. Don’t you think that ELEVEN questions are a bit much?!
7. What was the last thing you ate?
I made Foule Medames for breakfast this morning.
8. What’s the least amount of money you’d need to support yourself every month?
Twould probably depend on the location. In London, not less than £1200! But in Uganda? Probably not more than half of that.
9. You suddenly have $1,000 to spend on ONE thing in the next 6 hours. What do you buy? (No investments!)
More than likely, we’d probably spend it on a trip somewhere.
10. When did you start blogging and why?
I originally started a different blog in early 2011 because I had lots of ideas and didn’t feel I had enough opportunities to casually insert them into conversations at parties.
11. What words or phrases do you find especially annoying?
“Random” when you really mean “obscure”; “imaginary” as a noun in academic literature
AND NOW, OUR NOMINEES FOR THE LIEBSTER AWARD….
(drumroll)(fidgeting with envelope) (drumroll again)… Twenty Bridges Fresh off the Boat
London Study Story Decryptknit RachelBrandon Almost Evelyn I Love Your Accent Faith.Hope.Love Nametags and Hairnets Stop. Temps D’Hasard
Cheerful Stoic And now, the 11 questions for the nominees: 1. What is one food that you’ve eaten at least once, that really grosses you out?
2. Which animal would you most expect to see in your nightmares?
3. What’s the best award/prize you’ve ever won (other than the Liebster, of course)?
4. What’s the best prank/practical joke you’ve ever pulled AND/OR had pulled on you?
5. What is the most likely reason you would ever end up in jail?
6. What is the one thing about you that most annoys YOU (answer honestly, not as if this is a job interview)?
7. Your house is on fire and you can only go back in for one thing…Why is your house on fire???
8. What is the worst advice anyone has ever given you?
9. What is the biggest mishap you’ve ever had while travelling?
10. In retrospect, what’s the worst fashion/style choice you’ve ever made (photos welcome!)
11. What is the strangest gift anyone has ever given you?